Then include details of the source where the poem was published. Usually you will follow the format of an MLA book citation or an MLA website citation.
Poem on a website.
|Format||Author last name, First name. “Poem Title.” Original publication year. Website Name, Day Month Year, URL.|
- 1 How do you cite lines from a poem in a play?
- 2 How do you quote a poem in an essay?
- 3 How do you cite lines from an epic poem?
- 4 How do you cite multiple lines in a poem?
- 5 How do you cite a script in MLA format?
- 6 How do you cite a quote within a quote MLA?
- 7 How do you cite a poem in an anthology?
- 8 How do you quote a line break in a poem?
- 9 How do you cite a sonnet MLA?
- 10 How do you do in-text citations?
- 11 How do you cite multiple poems by the same author MLA?
- 12 How do you block quote in an essay MLA?
How do you cite lines from a poem in a play?
When citing a play with numbered lines, the MLA parenthetical citation should include the author name and the act, scene and line number(s). If the lines are not numbered, include the page number instead.
How do you quote a poem in an essay?
How do you cite a poem in an essay? To cite a poem in an essay, you include quotation marks around a short quote or three lines or less. You separate the lines using a forward slash (/) between the stanzas. For a block quote, or 4 lines or more, separate the quote from the rest of the text with a 5-inch margin.
How do you cite lines from an epic poem?
Cite a line from an epic or other long poem by writing the canto or book before the line number, followed by a period. Use Arabic numerals even if your book uses Roman numerals for cantos and books. For example: Astyanax does not recognize Hector when he wears his helmet (Homer 6.556-562).
How do you cite multiple lines in a poem?
In quoting four or more lines, begin the quotation on a new line indented one inch from the left margin, and reproduce each line of the poem as it appears in your source, double spacing each line and indenting it one inch. Beginning and ending quotation marks as well as slashes to indicate line breaks are not needed.
How do you cite a script in MLA format?
How to Cite a Script
- Write the author’s last name at the beginning of the citation line.
- Write the name of the film you are quoting in italics (after the name of the author) followed by a period.
- Write the publisher’s name, if there is any.
- Write the year the film script was created after the script’s publisher.
How do you cite a quote within a quote MLA?
If you can’t access the original source, then create a full citation for your indirect source in the Works Cited list. Then, for the in-text or parenthetical citation, use this format: ( qtd. in [last name of author of your indirect source] [page number of quotation]).
How do you cite a poem in an anthology?
Basic Format for a poem in an anthology: Poet’s Last Name, First Name. “Title of the Poem.” Title of Anthology, edited by Editor’s First and Last Name, edition (if applicable), volume (if applicable), Publisher, year of anthology publication, page number or page range.
How do you quote a line break in a poem?
Quoting Poetry When you quote a single line of poetry, write it like any other short quotation. If the piece of poetry you are quoting crosses multiple lines of the poem itself, you may still type them in your text run together. Show the reader where the poem’s line breaks fall by using slash marks.
How do you cite a sonnet MLA?
For poems, cite the line(s) of the poem, rather than the page number in the in-text citation. Shakespeare, William. “Sonnet 73: That time of year thou mayest in me behold.” Poetry Foundation, www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/45099/sonnet-73-that-time-of-year-thou-mayst-in-me-behold.
How do you do in-text citations?
In-text citations include the last name of the author followed by a page number enclosed in parentheses. “Here’s a direct quote” (Smith 8). If the author’s name is not given, then use the first word or words of the title. Follow the same formatting that was used in the Works Cited list, such as quotation marks.
Multiple Works To cite two or more works by the same author(s), give the author name(s) in the first entry only. In the entries for subsequent works, in place of the author name(s), type three hyphens (—) followed by a period, and then the title and the rest of the citation as per the rules in this section.
How do you block quote in an essay MLA?
An MLA block quote is set on a new line, indented 0.5 inches, with no quotation marks. To format a block quote in MLA:
- Introduce the quote with a colon and set it on a new line.
- Indent the whole quote 0.5 inches from the left margin.
- Place the MLA in-text citation after the period at the end of the block quote.