An epic poem is a lengthy, narrative work of poetry. These long poems typically detail extraordinary feats and adventures of characters from a distant past. The word “epic” comes from the ancient Greek term “epos,” which means “story, word, poem.”
- 1 What are the 6 elements of an epic poem?
- 2 What are 3 elements of an epic poem?
- 3 What is an epic and its characteristics?
- 4 What is an epic write the main traits of an epic?
- 5 What are the 4 elements of an epic?
- 6 What is an element of an epic?
- 7 What is epic poetry examples?
- 8 What are the characteristics that make the Odyssey an epic poem?
- 9 What are three characteristics of an epic poem pick three?
- 10 What are 10 common traits of an epic?
- 11 Which feature of epic poetry does this passage most clearly show?
- 12 Which of these are elements of an epic poem structure and style?
- 13 Why Odyssey is an epic poem?
- 14 What are the basic features of primary epic?
What are the 6 elements of an epic poem?
Gods, demons, angels, time/space travel, cheating death, immortality, and other supernatural elements.
What are 3 elements of an epic poem?
1) A conglomeration of pre-existing stories and characters. 2) Often of oral origin. 3) At least loosely based around historical or quasi-historical characters or events or characters. 4) Set in a mythologized distant time, traditionally in the past.
What is an epic and its characteristics?
An epic is an extensive and prolonged narrative in verse. Every epic extolls the valour, deeds, bravery, character and personality of a person, who is having incredible physical and mental traits. Exaggeration is also an important part of an epic. The poet uses hyperbole to reveal the prowess of a hero.
What is an epic write the main traits of an epic?
The five characteristics of an epic are the inclusion of: supernatural forces interacting with humans; acts of courage or valor; characters who have some type of national importance; a tone and voice that make everything sound important, even if it’s not; and a setting that is regional, national or global in nature.
What are the 4 elements of an epic?
4 Elements of Epic Storytelling
- Doom, Tempered with Hope. The fates of kingdoms.
- Inspiration, Mingled with Fear. A character’s determination to overcome the odds and thwart impending doom can lead to inspiration.
- Dumbfounding Awe and Presentation.
- Use of Scale.
What is an element of an epic?
Terms in this set (7) Plot centers around a Hero of Unbelievable Stature. The epic hero completes what everyone only attempts. In ancient epics, the hero often is either partially divine or at least protected by a god or God. Involves deeds of superhuman strength and valor (bravery)
What is epic poetry examples?
Here are some examples of some of history’s greatest literary epics. Perhaps the most widely known epic poems are Homer’s The Iliad and The Odyssey, both of which detail the events of the Trojan War and King Odysseus’s journey home from Troy. The Aeneid is an epic poem written in Latin by the Roman poet Virgil.
What are the characteristics that make the Odyssey an epic poem?
Length and Structure. The most notable characteristic of an epic poem is its sheer length. The “Odyssey,” for example, has 15,000 lines, while the “Iliad” has 12,000. Early epics were oral compositions, and poets utilized rigid, tonally melodic rhyme schemes to manage and organize the narrative.
What are three characteristics of an epic poem pick three?
The three characteristics (basing on the choices given above) of an epic poem are the following:
- Written in an elevated language.
- Celebrates the life of a legendary hero. and.
- Is a long narrative.
What are 10 common traits of an epic?
Terms in this set (10)
- 1) magical protective devices. The hero is given magical protective devices.
- 2) character traits.
- 3) theme.
- 4) formal diction and serious tone.
- 5) long, formal speeches.
- 6) timeless values- courage and honor.
- 7) setting vast in scope.
- 8) universal themes- good and evil, life and death.
Which feature of epic poetry does this passage most clearly show?
This excerpt most clearly shows “ supernatural forces, such as gods or monsters, that intervene ” features of epic poetry.
Which of these are elements of an epic poem structure and style?
An epic is a long, often book-length, narrative in verse form that retells the heroic journey of a single person or a group of persons. Elements that typically distinguish epics include superhuman deeds, fabulous adventures, highly stylized language, and a blending of lyrical and dramatic traditions.
Why Odyssey is an epic poem?
An epic is a long, episodic narrative poem that recounts the adventures of a historical or mystical hero. “The Odyssey”, by Homer, is an epic because Odysseus (the hero) faces supernatural antagonists, the gods and goddesses play an important role, and Odysseus is being restored as a rightful leader.
What are the basic features of primary epic?
These primary epics have features in common – a central figure of heroic, even super-human caliber, perilous journeys, various misadventures, intellectual capacity a strong element of the supernatural forces that shape the action, conflict in the form of battles or other physical combat, repetition of fairly long